$THC Windows Migration Notes

The HempCoin ($THC)

Windows  

Intermediate-Advanced Migration Tips

These are tips to help windows users migrate using the new windows migration guide. Exile13 and staff have worked hard to get this available for windows users as a stop gap measure until the new windows QT wallet is available, and that could be awhile. For those that want to wait, their coins are safe in their current QT wallet, as long as they aren't moved, transferred, received or changed in any way. Just let them be. A number of windows users have reported success with the Windows Migration guide, and some say it isn't that difficult. Hopefully this companion document will be of assistance.

Some background:

1. Linux and windows use different syntax and commands. Linux uses a "terminal window" and windows uses a "command prompt" and although they look similar and commands are input similarly, they are different. So, when the guide uses "terminal" it is synonymous with "command prompt" in windows. A Linux terminal is connected online and has far greater data resources. A windows command prompt only uses local (files on computer). That is why for windows the binaries and all programs/processes have to be downloaded and extracted to the local computer.

2. Linux uses a forward / slash, and windows the opposite \ and there are other differences in commands, so pay very close attention to the details of the guide. Exile has reformatted the guide so that copy and paste functions should work well. Sometimes with PDF, copy and paste doesn't perform well since PDF can change formatting and this is difficult to discover. If you get a parsing or syntax error, you may need to manually type in the command, or copy and paste to notepad, and at least typeover the quotes, and other symbols. The text is usually not an issue, but spacing sometimes is altered, so look closely. Then copy from notepad and input the command.

3. The commands for windows use the "%HOMEPATH%" function, so normally one does not have to be in the source folder to execute the command. If the command says "no file" or something like that, then navigate to the source folder, and re-execute. If still no file, check the folder to make sure the file is there. The “dir” command can be used to do this in the command prompt, or simply navigate on your computer to that folder.

4. The use of cd\ in the command prompt will take one to the root folder in windows. To go to a folder, just type in the path and hit enter. Example: from windows/system> type in cd \Users\Admin\Desktop\THC and if the username is Admin (mine is Admin) then you will go directly to that folder. Otherwise substitute Admin with your username. All folders and files are case sensitive. And please note that the use of "directory" is basically synonymous with the windows use of "folder."

5. This guide should work for all windows 64bit systems. I have Win 7 pro and it is working. Others have reported good success with Win 10. You may need to set the permissions in your firewall for the requisite ports. Those are shown in your THC.conf file/step 13. Google for info on doing this.

6. If you have already tried to migrate your coins with an earlier version of the Windows Migration Guide, then you probably already have some of the folders/directories that this guide will ask you to create. If you do, then you may be told that the folder can't be created. This is because it already exists. You can delete previous folders (never delete wallet.dat/save to somewhere safe). Or you can simply leave them be as they may already contain the downloaded binaries or files required. I deleted/renamed my Komodo folder and started fresh. Renaming the old folder saves those files without them interfering. This worked for me. When asked to create the ZcashParams folder, I left it alone, and did nothing since it only had the binaries needed and as far as I know they haven't changed. Again, that worked for me.

Now, I will go over each step and offer my suggestions:

Steps 1 - 8. If you collated/combined your coins PRIOR to the snapshot and have only a couple of addresses, this process will be a lot easier for you. You will need to create a privkey for EACH address you have that contains coins. This can be ascertained according to Gymb: open debug console in tools and type listaddressgroupings this will show all the addresses with coins in them.

Then do the dumpprivkey command for each one and save the new privkey supplied.

Step 9. Create a THC folder on your desktop. This is easy to do. Go to your desktop, right click - new folder, then name it THC. After that download the binaries and extract to the THC folder. The files will probably be extracted to a new subfolder in THC called win64. Open that, copy the files and then recopy them to the original THC folder. The win64 folder is not really needed after that but doesn't hurt anything to have it there and has a backup copy of the files.

Steps 10 - 12. This shortcut to make a directory/folder should work. If it doesn't you can manually create this new folder by navigating to the Roaming folder, right-clicking and creating a new folder named Komodo (capital K) within the Roaming folder, (not the AppData folder, although AppData is a parent folder of Roaming). Same process with step 12 for THC, but now the new folder is in the newly created Komodo folder. This THC folder is NOT the same as the one on the Desktop.

Steps 13 - 15. This command should work, but if not, then open notepad, copy and paste the info shown (change rpcuser/rpcpassword) and paste into Notepad. Then save as THC.conf and move it to the THC folder you created under the Komodo folder. For rpcuser= you can input whatever username you want and can remember. Example: rpcuser=CryptoWiz then do the same for the rpcpassword= Example: rpcpassword=ABC!@# but again, one you can remember.

Steps 16 - 17. The command to create this should work, but if not do it manually. See above for info. Also, if you already have this folder and the params extracted and here, then you should be good to go. I left mine as is. If not, then create the folder and extract these files to it.

Step 18. Now for some fun! You must be connected to the internet. Then open a command prompt window and copy and paste the entire command shown in the black box, into the command prompt. You should see some action right away with lots of text; watch to see if there are error messages. If not, good. PLEASE DO NOT USE this command prompt window anymore. DO NOT SHUT it off if it appears to freeze. It is working hard and could slow down your whole computer. Leave alone. Mine took 5 hours to sync.

Step 19. OPEN A NEW command prompt and run the getinfo command. After it executes, check the block number and connections. Run again in a bit. See if the block number is increasing. If so, good, you are syncing the THC chain. If you have 0 connections, then check your firewall for issues. And be sure you are connected to the internet.

Steps 20 - 21. I waited until the THC blockchain sync'd before doing these steps. If you have more than one address, then use step number 20 for them. On the last address/privkey, use step 21. WIF is Wallet Input Format and in this case, it is referring to the privkey. So just delete the <> input your privkey at that location and leave the WIF out completely, as it is irrelevant. After entering each one, you should receive a new Raddress. Save them. These belong to you and are where the coins that you migrated are now kept. You may still see the old coins in your QT wallet, but they aren't usable.

NOTE: The Technical and Staking links listed in the Guide are for LINUX and Komodo staking, etc., but if you add the "%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\THC\komodo-cli.exe" -ac_name=THC and the rest of the desired coding as shown below, they can be used.

The Locking function does work, and the guide lists the commands. You may lock MORE than 100k and it is unknown how many more, but apparently it is as much as you want. You cannot have 2 different locks as far as I know. Set it and forget it for 60 days, then rinse, repeat. Locks are not automatically renewed.

You may also stake in Windows, but apparently the pos64staker has not been tested for windows and I don't know if it will work, but likely not. The pos64staker is simply an enhanced version to maximize staking and it seems to increase rewards. I believe KMD is looking at a solution for windows. However, there is regular staking. That command is: "%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\THC\komodo-cli.exe" -ac_name=THC setgenerate true 0

Check staking/Mining status:

"%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\THC\komodo-cli.exe" -ac_name=THC getgenerate

Get Balance:

"%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\THC\komodo-cli.exe" -ac_name=THC getinfo

Get New Address:

"%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\THC\komodo-cli.exe" -ac_name=THC getnewaddress

Send to an address:

"%HOMEPATH%\Desktop\THC\komodo-cli.exe" -ac_name=THC sendtoaddress <Raddress> <Amount>

Opening Command Prompt as Admin:

Right click on the CMD prompt and then select open as administrator, or 

Type in Search: CMD 

Then right click on the cmd prompt and then select open as administrator.

Good Luck!